Types of Braces
At McCabe Orthodontics, we understand the importance of a healthy and confident smile. That’s why we offer a variety of orthodontic solutions to meet the unique needs of our patients. One of the most effective and popular treatments we provide is braces.
Braces are orthodontic devices that apply gentle, continuous pressure on your teeth over time to gradually move them into their desired position. They can correct a wide range of dental issues, including overcrowded teeth, gaps, and various types of bite misalignments. The result? A beautiful, healthy smile that boosts your confidence and oral health.
At McCabe Orthodontics, we’re proud to offer two main types of braces: Traditional Metal Braces and Clear Ceramic Braces.
Traditional Metal Braces
Traditional Metal Braces have been around for decades and continue to be a highly effective treatment option. These braces consist of metal brackets that are attached to each tooth and linked with a thin archwire. This wire applies the force that guides your teeth into their ideal positions. Regular adjustments are made to the braces to ensure continuous and controlled teeth movement. Despite their conventional design, they’re reliable, durable, and capable of treating a wide range of orthodontic issues.
For those who prefer a more discreet orthodontic solution, we offer Clear Ceramic Braces. They function similarly to traditional metal braces, but with one key difference: the brackets are made from clear ceramic material, making them far less noticeable. This aesthetic advantage allows you to undergo orthodontic treatment without compromising your natural look. Like their metal counterparts, ceramic braces are effective in treating a wide range of dental misalignments.
Choosing between metal and ceramic braces often depends on personal preferences and specific orthodontic needs. Rest assured, Dr. Russell McCabe and the team will provide all the necessary information and guidance to help you make an informed decision.
At McCabe Orthodontics, we’re committed to creating exceptional smiles — one person at a time! Whether you opt for traditional metal or clear ceramic braces, we promise to provide the highest standard of care in a friendly and comfortable environment. Contact us today to start your journey towards a beautiful, confident smile.
Braces For Kids
At McCabe Orthodontics, we believe in the power of early orthodontic intervention to set the stage for a lifetime of beautiful smiles. While there is no precise age for children to start orthodontic treatment, the American Association of Orthodontists recommends making that first visit to the orthodontist around age seven.
At this age, children typically have a mix of baby teeth and adult teeth. This allows our orthodontist, Dr. McCabe, to diagnose and correct tooth and jaw problems more effectively, often without the need for surgery later on.
The Impact of Early Treatment
Early orthodontic treatment can do more than just fix crooked teeth. It’s about guiding your child’s jaw growth, regulating the width of their dental arches, and creating sufficient space for their permanent teeth. Braces for kids can help:
- Correct and guide the growth of your child’s jaw, helping permanent teeth to align properly
- Regulate the width of the upper and lower dental arches, ensuring a well-proportioned and functional bite
- Create room for crowded teeth, reducing the likelihood of impacted or misaligned teeth
- Circumvent the need for permanent tooth extractions later in life
- Correct thumb-sucking habits, which can contribute to the development of dental and speech issues
When Does Your Child Need Braces?
As a parent, it’s not always evident if your child requires orthodontic treatment. Here are some signs to look out for:
- Early or late loss of baby teeth
- Difficulty chewing or biting food
- Mouth breathing, which can affect facial and dental development
- Persistent finger or thumb sucking
- Crowded, misplaced, or blocked teeth
- Jaws that pop or make sounds when opening and closing
- Teeth that come together abnormally or do not come together at all
- Jaws and teeth that seem out of proportion with the rest of the face
- Crowded front teeth around age seven or eight
If you notice any of these signs, it’s time for an orthodontic evaluation. At McCabe Orthodontics, we’re committed to providing your child with the highest level of care in a warm and friendly environment. Early treatment today can secure your child a healthy, beautiful smile for tomorrow. Contact us to request your free consultation!
Braces For Teens
So, the time has come. You’ve just been told those three words that no teenager wants to hear: “You need braces!” But hold on, before you start worrying, let’s set the record straight.
Braces today are not what they used to be. They’ve evolved in design, material, and even color. Living with braces has become more comfortable, easier, and yes, even trendier than ever before.
Life with Braces
Stepping into the world of braces might seem daunting at first, but you’ll soon discover that it’s a journey worth taking. Life with braces is not just about straightening your teeth; it’s also about gaining confidence, improving oral health, and most importantly, achieving that perfect smile!
Living with braces does mean learning a few new habits. You’ll become adept at brushing and flossing around your braces, ensuring your teeth stay clean and healthy throughout the treatment. We at McCabe Orthodontics will provide you with all the necessary tips and tools to maintain excellent oral hygiene.
Food choices will also play a part in your life with braces. While you might have to avoid certain hard or sticky foods, think of it as an opportunity to discover new favorite meals and snacks! Plus, this small sacrifice will be worth it when you see the final result.
Playing sports or a musical instrument? No worries! With a little adjustment period, you can continue doing what you love. We can provide special mouthguards for athletes and suggest comfortable solutions for musicians.
Finally, living with braces is also about expressing your personal style. With a variety of color options available for the bands on traditional braces, you can customize your look at every appointment. Show off your school spirit, celebrate holidays, or simply pick your favorite colors — the choice is yours!
So, while life with braces might require some adjustments, it’s a rewarding and transformative experience. And remember, every day brings you one step closer to revealing your stunning new smile!
How Long Will I Have to Wear Braces?
The duration of your braces treatment hinges on three crucial factors:
- Early Treatment — Early intervention allows orthodontists like us at McCabe Orthodontics to monitor jaw growth and determine if further treatment will be necessary. Not everyone needs early orthodontic treatment, and in some instances, it may be best to wait before starting treatment.
- What Needs Correction — The extent of treatment required to correct a problem will influence how long the process takes. Every patient responds differently to treatment. For some, it could take just 12 months to complete their treatment, while others might need 24 months. This variability is normal and depends on your body’s response and the amount of work needed to deliver the stunning smile you deserve.
- Your Cooperation — Your commitment to using the appliances provided by your orthodontist plays a pivotal role in the length of your treatment. Taking care of your braces and appliances can significantly shorten your treatment duration. So, remember to follow your orthodontist’s instructions diligently.
Braces have become a common part of life for many teenagers. Far from the stigma they once carried, today’s braces make it possible to look great and feel confident while straightening your teeth. Ready to embrace your braces journey? Contact McCabe Orthodontics to schedule your next orthodontic checkup. Let’s work together to create your show-stopping smile!
Braces For Adults
Orthodontic care isn’t exclusive to teenagers. In fact, more adults than ever are seeking orthodontic treatment. According to the American Association of Orthodontists, one in five orthodontic patients is over 21. Adults understand the significance of maintaining their oral health and enhancing their appearance. Embrace the opportunity to receive orthodontic care with us at McCabe Orthodontics.
Adults consider orthodontic treatment for a variety of reasons:
- Misaligned bite or malocclusion causing teeth to fit together incorrectly
- Crowded or spaced-apart teeth lead to potential tooth decay or gum disease
- Abnormal jaw pain or pressure induced by crooked teeth
- The desire for a healthier mouth and a more confident smile
Adult Orthodontics vs. Children & Teen Orthodontics
The key difference between adult orthodontics and orthodontics for children and teens lies in the development stage of the jawbones. In adults, jawbones have stopped growing, which could necessitate orthognathic surgery to align the jawbones properly.
Other differences include:
- Gum Or Bone Loss (Periodontal Disease) — Adults are more likely to experience gum recession or bone loss due to periodontal disease. Straighter teeth can reduce the risk of gum disease.
- Worn Or Missing Teeth — Over time, teeth can wear down and shift positions, requiring orthodontic care. Missing teeth can cause other teeth to tilt and shift, resulting in a bad bite and an increased risk of gum disease.
- Incomplete Orthodontic Treatment As A Teen — Many adults had some orthodontic treatment during their youth but didn’t complete it. Now, they choose to finish their orthodontic treatment to achieve the healthy, beautiful smile they’ve always desired.
We understand that adults and children have different needs and require varying levels of attention and care. We’ll work with you to ensure you receive the most suitable treatments in an understanding and respectful manner.
Why Consider Orthodontic Treatment?
- Healthy Teeth — Properly aligned teeth are easier to clean with flossing and brushing, potentially preventing other health complications.
- Confidence Boost — An attractive, straight smile can enhance your self-confidence, improving your quality of life and empowering you to smile without restraint.
- Preventing Further Issues — Neglecting necessary orthodontic treatment can lead to long-term health problems, potentially costing you more in the end.
At McCabe Orthodontics, we offer various orthodontic solutions, including traditional metal braces and clear ceramic braces, to cater to our adult patients’ needs and preferences.
To learn more about the benefits of adult orthodontics, please contact our practice to request an appointment. We understand that you have a busy schedule, and we will work with you to ensure each office visit is as convenient as possible. Start your journey towards a healthier, more confident smile with us today!